About Me

My photo
Kent Island, Maryland, United States
I am the mother of 3 teenagers and by all rights, I should have been discoverd years ago. I am always adding new content so bookmark me and you'll stay "in the loop."

Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween, Amy Winehouse And The Class Of '09


First thing's first. Halloween is officially over and I am glad for more than one reason. I no longer have to bear the shame of driving down my street to my undecorated house, the work party (which was in the middle of a very long work week) is over and my costume drama is behind me, well, almost. You'll remember that I told you that 3 of us from work were going as Baltimore Hons and so we did. I was quite pleased with my final "look" and while we all took different spins on the "hon" theme I think all in all we looked terrific. Tina went with the "house coat/knee high stocking" look, Hope went with the "crazy sunglasses/feather boa" look and, as you know, I went into my closet for the "leopard shirt/ black pants" look. In the picture Tina is on the left (those are not her real boobs :), in the middle is our Sheriff and I am on the right. Here is the problem. My friend Shannell was unable to attend the knees up and so I had Emily take some photos of me with the phone and I sent them to her. Her response? " Amy Winehouse?" What??!! Was she kidding me? I quickly sent back that I was in fact a Baltimore Hon and not Amy Winehouse. She (just as quickly) sent back "Where's your crack pipe Amy?" Good grief. Did other people think I was trying to be Amy Winehouse? If they did think that's who I was trying to be did they wonder why? Who in their right mind would try to be that poor, lost, crack addicted soul? Not to mention that during the party I was talking to one of the Police Captains trying to persuade him to find me a job in the PD because I need to be with the people and what an asset I would be to the department. He said he would look into it and call me in a couple weeks but was he just trying to fob me off because he thought I was some kind of nutter that worshiped a crack head?! Did he think that my need to "be with the people" was not so much a testimate to my caring personality but more of way for me to "get my next fix?"I have been burning with embarrassment, in absolute flames about it. Next year, whether he likes it or not, Jim and I are going as the spider and her web.
I'm putting all of it behind me as there is nothing to do now but damage control. I don't think I will be able to hear the song"Rehab" without turning red for a long time.
Senior year is upon us with Daniel and can I just tell you something? If you have a child in the lower grades now is the time to start saving for this expensive undertaking. Do they make it this way so that you are used to shelling out disgusting amounts of money and won't be so shocked when college starts? Announcements, gowns, thank you notes and the like are threatening to bankrupt us. The cherry on the sundae has got to be the bank breaking "senior pictures." Now, I have 3 children and have been purchasing school photos for 14 years now and generally that means a check for $25 and family and friends are treated to a photo of my gorgeous offspring. Not senior pictures. I think "senior" means "ridiculously expensive" in some other language. Mallory's senior pictures set us back approx. $500 and I am sure I can expect the same from Daniel's. I'm not sure if I'm buying photos or setting up a portfolio for an aspiring model. Well times are tough mes amies, and I may have to look at alternate ways to fund this Class of '09 undertaking. Perhaps as an Amy Winehouse impersonator?

No comments: