About Me

My photo
Kent Island, Maryland, United States
I am the mother of 3 teenagers and by all rights, I should have been discoverd years ago. I am always adding new content so bookmark me and you'll stay "in the loop."

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The 3 H's: Hair, Holidays and Hunting...

Well, in less than 48 hours I will have my hair done and while I am trying not to get my hopes up that seems to be something I excel at. I am constantly being let down by my unreasonable expectations. Getting discovered at Universal Studios, having people clean my house (once a week doesn't cut it and if I have to do the "in between" stuff I might as well do it all the time), Rob Zombie's "Halloween" in 2007, you get the picture. Even my kids tell me to be more realistic. Anyway, as per usual I will go in to see Lesley (and this is not her fault) but I will come out not having the hair of my dreams. That's because, unlike in my mind, my hair is not as thick as I would like it to be, too sticky uppy in the wrong places and the list goes on. When I was young I was at an Orioles game and saw this woman whose hair I fell in love with. It was long and kind of wavy and her bangs feathered back (it was the 80's.) Anyway I went home and told my mother that's how I wanted my hair. She then reminded me that my hair was short, not curly and that lasty the lady probably had "different" hair than I (read: thicker, more luxurious and perfect.) Mom always told me that you have to get a cut that suits you and your hair type. Well, since mine is crap that doesn't leave me many options, does it? I will go into Lesley with a photo of Mariska Hargitay and after she stops laughing she will give me a cut that suits "me and my hair type." She will, at least, fix it up nice (in style that I am doomed to never be able to repeat) and for the rest of the day I will think that "This is the cut, I can do this," and then I'll wake up Friday morning and we will be back to square one. I can't stress enough that none of this has anything to do with Lesley's hairdressing expertise. She is wonderful to put up with me and even tells me I can't have my hair as blonde as I would like when it seems a bit damaged. If only she could find it in her heart to come to my house each day so that I'm presentable.

I went to do the weekly shopping today and was instantly reminded that the holidays are right around the corner. I was reminded because I practically fell into the baking supplies display as soon as I walked into the store. Apparently Thanksgiving and Christmas make people not only spend money they don't have but also give people an unstoppable urge to bake. I fell for it again and stocked up on baking supplies. I say again because even though I know I have about 4lbs of brown sugar the thought of running out is unthinkable. We may be out of toilet paper and the like but by God, we will not run out of brown sugar!

Jim is going hunting again in the morning and I sure hope he gets his deer. I call it "his" because he has been trying to get him for over a week now. He is bow hunting so has to be within a certain distance blah, blah, blah (I'm too busy thinking about my hair to pay attention) in order to shoot him and so they have been playing cat and mouse. If he doesn't get him I am afraid that, since the kids and I seem to know this deer, he will bring him home and we will have to keep him as a pet. Since we already have 1 dog, 5 cats, 2 rabbits, a guinea pig, a parrot, 2 bearded dragons, a few fish, a tortoise and too many snakes and geckos to count I fear there will be no money in the budget to feed him. Especially since the holidays are upon us and I must bake 24hrs a day.

No comments: